Friday 1 May 2015

1/5/15 - Sneaky Real Estate Agents, Protein, Protein, Protein, Goodbye To Two Typewriters & This Week's Wristwatches.

Back when I worked in the watch industry and was getting sick of it, some customers suggested that I go into selling cars. One fellow I knew used to work in the after-care department at one of the major European dealerships and he told me just how precarious a car salesman's life could be; "You work with these guys for months and if they don't make their sales targets, they're gone. I went in on a Monday and asked 'Hey, where's Joe? I saw him on Friday', and they'd tell me 'We finished him up on Friday afternoon. He didn't hit his targets for the last week.' "
And that's why I never went into car sales. A few customers suggested I go into real estate, but...


And that's why I'll never go into real estate. I think I'd have to make too big a compromise of my moral code, and after a while, I'd look in the mirror and begin to despise the person looking back at me. No matter how much money he was making.
Looking at the plans of this house, we decided anyway that it would need some serious configuration of rooms, since the third bedroom was pretty small. Lady Teeritz and I have sat down and written up a checklist of what we'd like in our next house. And what we don't want. No flat roof, no corner block, no shoe-box sized bedrooms. The hunt goes on. 

Been on a bit of a protein kick this week. The average adult male requires 56 grams of protein per day. So, I began taking a closer look at foods that offered a healthy dose of the stuff. I went slightly overboard on the first day;

- 1 egg (hard-boiled)     13 gms
- Almonds (handful)       3 gms
- Sustagen Sport            14.7 gms (it's a chocolate powdered milk additive for use after exercise)
+ Skim Milk (250ml)      8 gms
+ 1 egg thrown in          13 gms

Total Protein = 51 gms

And it wasn't even midday yet! For lunch, I had a tuna salad. That's another 22 grams of protein. Afternoon snack was another handful of almonds, so there's another 3 grams right there. And, for dinner, Chorizo sausages with some vegetables, mainly potatoes. That was 22 more grams for the day. Total intake came to 98 grams! Okay, slow it down a little. Next day's intake? Thirty-seven grams.  Now, if I can just get it all somewhere between these two totals, I should be fine.




Found a copy of Captain America: The Winter Soldier on BluRay for $25 bucks! When I got home, my wife looked at me and raised an eyebrow; "I don't know how you could have forgotten that I bought a copy of this on eBay a few days ago. You were sitting right next to me when I hit 'Buy It Now', and I even asked you if I should get it." 
I need to improve my memory. After I return this movie to Target.






I was going to switch to the Submariner 5513, but decided to keep the Omega on instead. Looking forward to getting the Skyriter. Seller claimed that it had been recently serviced and is working properly. I certainly hope so. It's one typewriter that's been on my mind for a couple of years.

Anyway, gang, it's now Friday afternoon. It's been a sunny day here. Although, the nights do get quite cold. Another thing we'd like in our next house- central heating. We've spent too many a cold Winter's night in a chilly house. 
Hopefully, we'll find something sooner rather than later, but I think we'll have to listen to a little more BS before we get the keys to our next house. Yeah, I'm feeling a little more cynical than usual. 'Cos I don't like getting jerked around by real estate agents who keep changing their story.
However, there's a great deal more good things in my life than bad. And the bad things are just inconveniences, after all.

I switched over to the Submariner, too. Call me weak.


Thanks for reading and have a great weekend, all!


- typecasts were done on a 1956 Smith-Corona Silent Super and a 1946 Royal Quiet De Luxe.

8 comments:

  1. So that was your Olympia Splendid 99 on the 'Bay! I was tempted. Great Real Estate scrip! but you know, maybe that realtor was just lonely? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted to keep it. But, I looked at my collection and, despite how super-cool and sleek the Splendid 99 is, I couldn't justify holding on to it. And the realtor was an ass!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the house hunting. It's good to see you typecasting, I like the way you've photographed them, rather than scanning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heartily agree with you on the car salesman and real estate agents.

    You seem to have the same problem with real estate purchasing as I've found here in Florida. It would be nice for us to move into a bigger more open style house for Mrs. M to maneuver in her wheelchair, but dealing with the agents is worse than determining the budget.

    Thanks for the mention on the Skyriter. Several of mine came with like-new platens, Hope yours does too. I find them to be my best travel typeweriters. Next best is the Montana Luxe, followed by my Hermes Baby. I fully agree on the Olympia Splendid. I'd move my Olympais all in to the nice looking category and not so good typing category. Oh, and those noisy SCM hollow aluminum platens--I've got two to send to JJ Short. At least upon return they will look nice if they are not quieter.

    Good luck on your house hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got a Skyriter a couple days ago at a neighborhood junk shop - I love that little pancake. She's just so tiny, but sturdy. I think I will take her camping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I do like Skyriters a lot, especially the mid to late 50's ones, before it all went to England. I think they have a pleasantly loose, spindly feel to the action that lends itself to greater speed than I'd usually get out of an ultra-portable. It feels very organic. Tough as nails too, as long as they don't get tail-dropped.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sales is a vulgar and vile industry. The I don't have the attitude of a push salesman to do the job. Sure, I can read the customer and build relationships, but I just.... can't push myself past the lack of ethics.

    Good work on selling those two machines. I didn't keep track of your splendid. Did it go for much? I'm about to sell one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Joe VC, I thought taking a picture of the typecasts would provide some nicer contrast than scanning them. Besides, taking a picture meant that I could include the watches in the photos.

    @ Bill M, yes, real estate agents take all the fun out of the process. I hope you and Mrs M find a place that suits your needs. I'm sure you will. There's a house out there somewhere.

    @ maryech, Skyriter's probably an ideal typewriter to take camping!

    @ Ted, here's hoping the Skyriter works like my Silent-Super. Based on the seller's pics, I think it'll be a mid-50s Made-In-The-USA model.

    @ Scott K, yep, I too have never been a pushy salesperson. If a product is well-made, it tends to sell itself. Which is why I could never sell used cars or houses. If I can't vouch for the product 100%, then I don't feel comfortable trying to sell it.
    As for the Splendid 99, it went for more than I thought it would. Just be sure to take some nice photos of it. A friend of mine once said; "If it shines, it sells."

    ReplyDelete