Thursday 14 May 2015

The Typewriter Collection No. 17 - Smith-Corona Skyriter, circa 1954



I like the sleek and low-profile case that it arrived in. The handle looks a little fragile, though. I may replace it with leather. I'm also considering giving this case a paint-job, but I'll have to give some serious thought to how I remove the existing colour.
Having read a few recent posts by Baesun on his blog...
Of Type and Ink - Updates and Painting Skyriters
...I'm reluctant to go messing with lead paint and all of the associated risks. I may try a solution called Ripper Stripper to remove the old colour. 



Not sure how I feel about this carriage-return lever. It's shorter than I'm used to, and I have to say it can feel a little 'aggressive' against the finger. Almost feels a tad sharp, to be honest, though this is nothing that some light filing or sanding down wouldn't fix.










I love how this machine types. Very responsive. I removed the two screws which, remarkably, make it possible to remove the entire inner workings from the outer shell, and began to once again think about changing the colour of this typewriter from its industrial grey shade to something a little more eye-catching. Maybe a pale cream colour to contrast against the dark green keytops and Smith-Corona logo on the ribbon cover.
However, I'm not sure about this. I don't really have the time to devote to such frivolities right now, but it is something to ponder.
But, man, that carriage-return lever has me slightly bugged. I had one other thought; I'm thinking of keeping an eye out for the Sears version of this machine, the Tower Chieftain III. Looks pretty much exactly like a Skyriter, but it has a longer return lever and a nice, cool 1960s logo. From what I gather, the Chieftain III was made in the early to mid Sixties. I hope they have a similar typing action to this Skyriter. Anybody who has both of these machines, feel free to chime in with an opinion.
I know I could go for a later model Skyriter from the early '60s, but I'm thinking that a rebadged Smith-Corona, i.e; the Tower,  would break up the collection a little. I already have three S-Cs, after all. 

The rubber feet have seen better days, but they're still intact. I will still replace them with some new rubber at some point to provide some better grip.  Other than that, this typewriter is in great working condition. Looks like the kind of thing an engineer from McDonnell-Douglas would have carried around in the mid-Fifties while Chuck Yeager broke through to Mach 2.44.
They bred 'em tough back then.

Thanks for reading!


12 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Yes, these are tough -- unlike the chintzy plastic-bodied successors made in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Hermes Rocket has the same kind of ultra-short return lever, but I've psyched myself into believing that's the price for having a portable typewriter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of affection for my 1952 Skyriter - I find myself pulling her out regularly. I love her despite what Ted Munk described in a brilliant turn of phrase as "the vestigial carriage return lever".
    http://munk.org/typecast/2010/11/12/boswell-the-1956-smith-corona-skyriter/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my 1950 Skyriter very much. I would like to have one with a longer return lever, but I think those only come in the zippered cases, which defeats the purpose of an ultra-portable for me. I really enjoy the convenience of the clamshell case. I might be wrong, but I have only seen the later long-handled ones with those cases online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never typed on a Skyriter. I've read mixed reviews, glad your take is generally positive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I have the Sears Tower version, and I prefer it very much over the "vestigal lever" versions. It's the only Skyriter I've kept, despite it being rather beat to hell. The typing action is the same, but that long return lever makes all the difference in the world. (:

    Also, the long-lever versions come in a zipper case. I don't think the metal cover fits.
    http://typewriterdatabase.com/1957-tower-chieftain-iii.1078.typewriter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn...looks like I'll be chasing down a Sears Tower Chieftain III at some point. There are worse problems to have, of course. Thanks, Ted!

      Delete
  7. Nice machine! I agree about the Groma Kolibri feeling kind of heavy. I'll have to give a good Skyriter a try. Every one I have seen in the wild has been stored very badly with plenty of rust and grunge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Dwayne! Hope you and yours are well. Skyriter is worth going for, since it's so sleek. Personally, I still haven't fallen in love with the short carriage return lever. Which is why I'm considering a slightly later model. But it does type quite snappy.

      Delete
  8. I love my Skyriters. I have always liked the typing action on the Skyriters better than the Tower Chieftains. They seem stiffer to me. You mentioned you wee able to replace the rubber feet. I have one with a missing rubber foot -- what's the best way to replace them? is there a suitable alternative?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Patrick. I just used a round rubber foot with an adhesive backing. Available from my hardware store in packs of eight. It's not the most perfect solution because it covers up the screw, but I might get another set and drill a hole through the middle of them. Either way, the Skyriter now doesn't slide around when I type.

    ReplyDelete
  10. EDIT- The Skyriter feet don't have screws through them. I was thinking of my Lettera 22.

    ReplyDelete