Friday 14 March 2014

Saturday 15/3/14 - Quick Day Trips, Assignment No. 2 Complete, New Smartphone & This Week's Watches.

Saturday 1:21pm AEST

Yesterday (Friday) was a busy day and I just didn't get to post this weekly wrap-up. 

Last Sunday
We took a drive out to Cape Schanck on the Southern coast of Victoria. The plan was to have a light picnic there. It's a very picturesque coastline.


 And there's a lighthouse located there as well.


I was wearing my Sinn 103 St Sa chronograph;


Because I wanted to keep track of day and date while I worked on this Social Media assignment that was due on Wednesday.
I had to trudge through 23 social media sites and explain them. Some of them were obscure to me and more than a few of them would not allow a detailed view without signing up to them. Which I was not going to do. Then I had to list their suitability for library use. Many of them mimic each other in terms of function or purpose, to some degree, and I am now of the opinion that the world does not need 23 social media websites. 



Wednesday evening
Assignments 2 and 3 were completed and handed in. I could breathe easy for a day or so before commencing the next two projects for this unit. To bring a little more closure to the completion of the two assignments, I switched over to the Omega Seamaster 300;


Friday morning
Busy, busy. I drove out to see my Mother's solicitor in the morning. The appointment was for 10:ooam and I didn't want to take any chances with early morning traffic, so I left my house at around 8:20, since I'd have to travel across town to get to his office which is about ten minutes away from my Mother's house. I live a 50 minute drive from her house. 
Surprisingly, traffic was light and I managed to park my car outside his office at around 9:25am. I found a cafe across the road and hunkered down for half an hour. I had already switched over to the vintage Omega Seamaster Chronometer, circa 1969;


Friday afternoon
Time to go get a new phone. I'd done my research over the past few weeks and settled on a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini. This phone, from reviews that I'd read, delivers some pretty good battery life and that's my main criteria for a phone right now. I don't use phones all that much. I might make half a dozen calls throughout the week and maybe send or receive six or seven text messages, as well as check e-mails throughout the day. Beyond that, I don't need to watch movies or listen to music on my phone. I just want something with a decent standby capability. 

Today
I just charged up the phone. Now, the fun begins. Hopefully, this thing will last two-and-a-half to three days before I need to charge it again. I have the screen brightness set down low and I've set e-mail notifications to fetch instead of push. I don't leave my phone on 24 hours a day so, with a little luck, I might just have a phone that does what I want it to do. 


Anyway, much to do around the house at the moment, so I'll sign off for now. I hope you've all had a decent week and I hope you have a great weekend!

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Nice lighthouse photos. Looks like a real relaxing place. We have several lighthouses around here and one day I will make it to one of the special amateur radio events where we can (hopefully) make contacts by using the lighthouse to support the antenna wire and operate from either the top or ground.

    I really like the Sinn watch. I am not a watch collector and this is the first one of those I've seen. It's a really nice watch.

    Studying social media sites seems it would not be fun. On-line one never knows is that a real person on the other end or someone acting out with a fake name. One thing about radio -- government regulated and one knows they are communicating with a real person and their real name and address or a real radio club. Maybe not the true locations since we operate mobile, portable and base. Much nicer than on line social sites.

    I've been thinking about a Samsung phone, but I wonder would I ever use it. I still use a dumb phone and see no need to change, especially at $10 per month. I make few calls too. The cheapest smart phone plan or even no contract runs about $30 a month here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics as always. I'm glad to see you get out a fair bit, not grinding away ceaselessly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Bill M, yes, it was a nice beach to visit. It was a very hot day and we didn't properly plan for it, so we didn't stay as long as we would have liked. And, considering all the visitors, there was no dedicated picnic area.
    The social media assignment nearly wiped me out. By the time I was finished, I was very glad to see the end of it. Radio seems like a safer way of communicating, for sure.
    As for the Samsung phone, I'm in two minds about it. So far, a full charge of the battery has lasted me just under two days, and I've only made one call on it! Not only that, but I switched from Norton Antivirus to Kaspersky yesterday and it's a little more technical than I thought it would be. A full system scan took about four hours! I think technology has been shafting me this week.
    Stick with your dumb phone. I may switch back to my one. I'll see how the Samsung pans out over the next week or so. So far, though, I'm not too impressed with it.

    @ NotAgain, yep, we have to take a few little breaks like these from time to time. Doesn't cost us anything besides fuel. As for grinding away, I'm still looking for work and the money is slowly bleeding away, so if anything, life will get busier rather than quieter. For a little while, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, great watches. And that part of the coast is beautiful. I do miss the dramatic coast that Victoria has, even if here in QLD we have such epic beaches.

    Hope your studies are going well.

    ReplyDelete