Wednesday 4 January 2012

Lanco Hand-Wound, circa 1953-1962






The detail on this dial shows just how much care and pride even some of the smaller watch-making companies would take with their products. The thin winding crown was common to many watches from the era. Speaking of era, I've been told that this watch dates back to the early 1960s, but there are many elements of its design that would have me believe that it might be from a decade earlier than that.




The case is quite thin, but this is generally to be expected with hand-wound watches, since there is no rotor inside the movement, which tends to add a little bulk. As such, it sits quite low on the wrist, señor.


The case-back is a simple snap-back type, but I was not gonna attempt to remove it myself, since I've found that I tend to leave more than a few scratches when doing so.





Sorry, folks, it's not quite a Panama hat, but it still has a summery feel to it.

Thanks for reading!

7 comments:

  1. Very nice post. Watches are fantastic! Best part is the old typewriter, the old watch and the old pen. Old? No, old would mean unuseable. Thanks for the wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why? Why did it have to be a watch? And why such a pretty, seductive looking piece of vintage goodness?

    I've worked very hard to keep watch lust in check. Pretty much everything about that watch is perfect and I especially love the number style and have a general dislike for flex metal bands. You are ruining my resolve. I hope you are happy ;-)

    Oh, my wife likes your pen as well. She doesn't really have an addiction prone personality, but we'll keep working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful visual feast of a post!

    Thoroughly enjoyed, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something was troubling me about the watch.
    Now fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one fine watch, what a beauty.
    I have an Omega with a similarly textured face, it belonged to my grandfather. Too bad it's broken and repairs are costly.

    Your typecasts look so tidy, good job.

    New Year greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Bill M, thanks! There's a lot to be said for all this old stuff that I'm into. Everything's too disposable these days and put together with built-in obsolescence. What a wasteful world we live in.

    @ Cameron, thank-you! Much appreciated.

    @ Rob, uh, I don't get it, which probably says more about how slowly my mind is working these days.

    @ I dream lo-tech, get your grandfather's Omega repaired. Shop it around, there's bound to be a decent watchmaker in your neck of the woods who won't charge you an arm and a leg to get it working. And thank-you! And Happy New Year to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, how could I forget my favourite tech-junkie!?
    @ Dwayne, of course it had to be a watch. That's what I do. There's something...'unhurried' about a hand-wound wristwatch. If you DO find your resolve weakening, then get yourself a nice old watch by Hamilton. These should be readily available in the States and something tells me they aren't too expensive if you hit the Thrift stores.
    And if your wife is interested, the pen is a circa 1946 (now THAT was a cool year for film noir) Parker Vacumatic.
    Cheers, sir!

    ReplyDelete