Tuesday 16 January 2018

My Most-Worn Watches of 2017

Last year got busy for me in other areas. As such, my blogging took a back-seat to everything else that was going on.
Looking at the stats of this blog since it began, 2017 showed the least amount of posts here.
Here are the stats, along with possible/probable reasons behind the post counts;

2011 - 53 posts. Started this blog in May of that year. Most of my posts were about typewriters and wristwatches.
2012 - 41 posts. Still finding my feet with it. Quit my job and returned to part-time study.
2013 - 71 posts. Studying part-time, more free time on my hands.
2014 - 74 posts. Still studying, looking for work.
2015 - 53 posts. Studies got busier, job-hunt was ramped up once my studies ended in September.
2016 - 46 posts. Landed a part-time job in March. Spent three weeks overseas on holiday in Europe. Noticed that my readership took a sharp drop after that and hasn't been the same since. Was averaging around 500 to 700 page-views a day, but this has since fallen to around 200 since the trip. Oh well, not the end of the world. It's just a blog, after all.
2017 - 34 posts. Job went full-time in March, leaving me less time and energy to devote to regular posts.

So, I spent less time writing blog posts here. There were periods where I didn't write for a couple of weeks at a time, so these results may be slightly skewed. However, I was still able to keep a tally of the watches that got worn throughout the year and here it is.

I have to say that I was a little surprised by the results.

1) ORIS DIVER SIXTYFIVE

The clear winner by a mile. I wore it throughout 22 weeks of the year. For a watch that has a blue and black dial, the D-65 was surprisingly suited to many different strap combinations, making for a versatile wristwatch.
At 40mm in diameter, it is perfectly suited to my 6.5 inch wrist and it's gone a long way towards fully convincing me that 40 mil is the right size for my wrist. I'd always felt that way, but every now and then, the BIG watch craze would cast a few niggling doubts in my mind.
I've been collecting long enough now and I've built up a collection that I'm comfortable with and that works well for me.
The Diver SixtyFive is a clean and simple watch, as far as dive watches go. It wears nicely on the wrist and has enough elements about it that appeal to me. I could say more, but I'm in the process of writing a review about it that will say everything I like and dislike about this watch.

2) OMEGA SEAMASTER 300  (WATCHCo Build)

This watch was worn throughout 11 weeks of the year. I tried it on a few different bracelet and strap combinations. It has, by far, one of the most legible dials in my collection. A fellow collector sold me a Speedmaster bracelet for this watch and it was a near-perfect fit. Works perfectly over the winter months, but when Summer rolls around, my wrist swells slightly and the fit gets a little too snug. All I need is an extra link for this bracelet. I'll get around to it someday. 

3a) OMEGA RAILMASTER Co-AXIAL

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiaVIelprmxyjn2WQlOfFgOK_mQ57_fmNINnSNkbiwtdFirHCChPFrdYDtHpxMbAvX3bjyF3nkiK4AOBDCtUpIbJ0dQ3AqPZsX66roONP8n8NrSD7nOsnhjpdscnF3U9XF_hCLhyphenhyphen9HChsht/s1600/Tue.JPG

Worn through ten weeks of the year, this is a favourite. Somewhere on this computer, I have a photo titled "Grab if House On Fire". The picture shows six (or is it seven?) of my watches. Aside from the obvious, such as passports and other legal paperwork, two portable hard-drives, the cats and my wife and kids, I would probably risk life and limb to grab these watches as the flames surround me.

3b) OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL

In equal 3rd place, the Speedy got a lot of wrist time last year. Some guy over on an Omega forum stated that he'd never, ever buy one of these because he feels that the moon landing was faked. It sparked a major 'debate'. I got into the discussion saying that the NASA/moon landing association has never had any allure for me regarding this wristwatch. I just like it because it's a classic 1960s chronograph design. 

Image result for teeritz speedmaster

I've periodically switched it over to a leather strap, but it always seems to wind up back on its bracelet. Sure, it's a hand-wound watch, the glass is hesalite and not as tough as sapphire crystal, there's no date on it, and the water-resistance wouldn't be enough to wear it while swimming (in my opinion), but there's so much else that just absolutely perfect about this watch. 
In fact, all of the above-mentioned perceived short-comings are what make this watch truly special. 

Image result for teeritz speedmaster

4) OMEGA SEAMASTER PLANET OCEAN 42mm Co-AXIAL

I'm wearing this one now as I write this. Whenever I put this watch on after not having worn it for some time, it always feels like I'm putting it on for the first time.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgbw0C-x3dP8VTh6hPZYfoZriyeeEm7nP29TGjsxo_fnnHYbDF_blvXniL2W9mifcSDeDPDpQ0B7geQz8QsEK6fASpfVfPZZNHFWSmKlrP9vxj-JL_rKm0unlXAp2h-tRA1H980DwdujxY/s1600/24th.JPG

It was worn throughout nine weeks of the year. If anything, I don't think I wore it enough! It's the go-anywhere/do-anything watch, even though I still tend to treat it carefully enough.
I've had it ten years and I daresay it would probably be due for servicing. If I could bear to be without it for a couple of months. 

The one watch that is conspicuously missing is the Rolex Submariner 5513. I finally got around to getting it serviced in November, so it kind'a arrived too late in the year to make the list. 
Well, there's always 2018.


The bulk of my other watches all averaged about four weeks of wear throughout last year. I didn't switch up my watches as much as I used to.
Which is a good thing, because it helps me to decide if there are any pieces that I could sell and not miss. At the moment, there are one or two for sure. I'll have to spend a little more time thinking about it, to see if I can move a couple of others without worrying too much. 
I've been in a if-it's-not-being-used,-get-rid-of-it state of mind for a few months. I have a few items that haven't seen the light of day for some time. And if that's the case, I probably wouldn't miss them if they were gone. 
Which is good. 

Now all I have to do is figure out where to begin. 

Thanks for reading!

23 comments:

  1. Now, what would be your most frequently used typewriter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joe, I didn't dance across the keytops so much in 2017, but I think it's a toss-up between two Smith-Coronas. Well, a Smith-Corona Silent Super and a Tower Chieftain III (a Skyriter by any other name).
      Must aim to use them all a little more this year. Especially since I plan to thin the collection down a little.

      Delete
  2. I check your blog daily after finding it by accident a while ago. I enjoyed it so much that I've gone through every post while waiting for new ones to pop up. Thank you for the effort, however minimal you may believe, it is appreciated. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, thank-you for the kind comments. My output has slowed down in recent months. Got a couple of posts in draft form at the moment, but time is the tricky factor.

      Delete
  3. Glad to see the 65 came out on top :)

    Still have my doubts about getting a Speedmaster. I have been craving for this watch for a long time but I'm still in doubt whether to get the Professional or the Reduced. I'm used to automatics and prefer smaller watches but on the other hand I'm affraid that a Reduced will disappoint me in the end. Moreover I often quastion if I even need to get a chronograph given that I already have a daily (Tissot PR 516 GL Heritage), a beater (Orient Black Mako), a chornograph (Tissot Couturier) and a 'diver' for the weekends/holidays (Oris 65)... An extra watch will probably only make me wear the others less...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stijn, the Speedmaster Moonwatch measures 42mm, and I just read how you're not to thrilled about watches in that size. I was wearing my Speedy today and it did look large, but I've gotten used to it over the last ten years.
      Consider the FOIS (First Omega in Space) model. Not sure how eay they are to come by, since they were a limited edition released a couple of years ago, but they are a 39.5mm watch. Assuming, of course, that you need another chronograph. From memory, though, the Tissot Couturier was 42/43mm in diameter?
      That's a great, tight little collection you have. All you need is a dress watch and you're all set.
      What can I say? I'm an enabler.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the advice on the FOIS. That would be perfect, but the problem is that I prefer the hands on the regular Speedy... One day I will perhaps find my perfect Speedy or settle with a Reduced. :)
      Correct, the Couturier is 42mm (good memory!). And I do find that a little too large as well, but it was my first 'serious' watch... Mistakes were inevitably made... :) I do like the current Tissot PR 516 Chronograph (grey/black/red) as well, but that one is even larger at 45mm for the automatic... :(

      Indeed, like many I stumbled upon your website many moons ago thanks to your infamous review of the Visodate. :)
      Been considering it for years now but never pulled the trigger. Recently the Hamilton Intramatic 38mm also comes to mind. For now the PR 516 GL holds up pretty well in more formal settings.

      Delete
    3. Yes, the FOIS hands are unique to that model. Check out some of the 40mm automatic Speedmasters. There were some nice models released over the last ten/twelve years.

      The Visodate is nice, but if it were just a couple of millimetres smaller, I'd wear it a lot more. The 38mm Intramatic is great, but I was looking for a Hamilton Thin-O-Matic for a while. It was available in a 38mm size for a short while and is tricky to find these days. A very nice watch. Still, Ican't fault the Intramatics.

      Delete
    4. So my search for a Speedy continues... :)

      True, 38mm would have been ideal for the Visodate. Although the small hands bother me more :)

      Delete
    5. The hands can tend to look small because of all the empty real estate on the dial. Aside from the day/date window, there's not much else cluttering it up. Man, 2mm smaller and this watch would be close to perfect.

      Delete
    6. OK, so I'll have to buy a Visodate in 2018 and a Speedy in 2019 :)

      Delete
    7. The only catch with buying something inexpensive like a VisoDate is that it costs the same amount to service as it would a watch that’s four or five times the price. There’s a strange logic to buying a pricey watch over something cheaper. They all require servicing sooner or later.

      Delete
    8. True, but residual value is never an issue for me. Firstly because it's about the passion for a certain watch. If I'm fond of a reasonably priced Tissot, I'm not going to buy a more expensive watch just because of the value of it in ten years time. Secondly, residual value can never be an issue if you plan on keeping the watch, because you'll never sell it and won't benefit from a high residual value. So in that case, the Tissot is always, from a financial point of view, the most interesting watch. Thirdly, a more famous, more expensive watch, will probaly retain its value better in relative terms. But if an expensive watch loses more than 400 euros in value over its lifetime, the Tissot is once again, moneywise, the better choice... :)

      Delete
    9. Oh, I agree. I’m forever reading posts on forums where somebody will bemoan the fact that his watch won’t hold its value. “Big deal” is always my response. You buy a watch because you like the look of it, regardless of what it may be worth in 5, 10 or 20 years. Over time, it will have paid for itself. In my view.
      For me, however, whenever I get side-tracked by a less expensive watch, it takes me longer to get some other pricier peice that I originally had my heart set on.

      Delete
    10. That is indeed sadly a fact. Do you still have many dream watches, given your vast collection? For me adding a Speedy and a dress watch would end the search. OK, maybe that is a bit too optimistic... :)

      Delete
    11. My collection needs a little tweaking. There are some pieces that rarely, if ever, get worn these days. Those ones should be sold. For example, I have a Seiko that I use as a beater and another Seiko that rarely gets worn. I should get rid of the beater and use the rarely-worn one as its replacement.
      Easier said than done. I need to remove the emotional attachment that I have to these watches. Better to have a collection of watches that I actually wear.
      Dream watches? Maybe a vintage 1960s-1980s DateJust. And if Tudor releases a Ranger model in 38mm, I'll be in trouble.
      Aside from that, I can't think of anything else that I'd want to get. Although, something with a GMT function would be handy. For all that international jetsetting that I do.

      Delete
  4. That's a lot of Omegas on the list!

    As we've conversed about before, this blog has been a big inspiration to me. After much deliberation (and we're talking tons of thought and flip-flopping), I finally pulled the trigger last month and got my first Omega. Whilst I wanted to get a Brosnan era Seamaster SMP, I wound up getting a brand new ceramic Seamaster in blue. I really wanted the wave dial and a watch seen on screen, but being my first I didn't want to worry about having any issues right away and finding the right seller and getting something with someone else's history. Furthermore, I had consulted with my 13 year old son as this watch will theoretically someday be his, too, and given the choice, he liked the new model more. Including him in the decision felt like the right thing to do and he was gobsmacked the first time he saw it on my wrist-not knowing I had actually gone to an AD and done it. And now I have the security of Omega's warranty and the pretty wooden box instead of the red ones that don't seem to hold up too well based on the photos I've seen on eBay. I took a few photos of him trying it on for the first time and it's safe to say he won't be needing the diver's extension anytime soon! I wanna thank you for all your advice over the last year or two since I discovered your blog! It's been very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, congratulations Javi! It's a rock-solid watch. If you're still hung up on the Brosnan version, be aware that he wore the 2541.80 quartz version in "Goldeneye", before Omega realised that they could sell a tonne of the more expensive automatic version.
      That being the case, you could hunt up a quartz one, remove the battery, and put it away for ten or fifteen years, so you can wear it when you give the auto to your son.

      As for tonnes of thought and flip-flopping, I'm reaching that point myself. I think I'd like to thin down the collection a little, as there are some of the more obscure vintage pieces that I just don't wear very much.

      And, more importantly, I don't want to saddle my kids with a bunch of watches, that all require servicing and maintenance over the long term.

      Man, it's such a First-World problem, isn't it?

      I think you made the right choice for a first watch. Definitely a sharp one.
      Congrats again, Javi, and thanks for the kind words, too!

      Delete
  5. LOL! It certainly is! I like your idea about the backup watch. I may have to stick with one of his automatics though-I'm addicted to watching the second hand sweep! My fiance really likes the Seamaster 300 from Spectre (not sure if she prefers the limited edition or the regular), but in addition to costing more thanks to all the upgrades, it just didn't have all the aesthetic bells and whistles I was looking for, namely the helium escape valve, scalloped edges on the ceramic bezel, and applied markers. Plus, the second I tried the Diver SMP on, it fit my wrist PERFECTLY! IT was pretty much decided right there that it was THE ONE!Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I did have a question for you-how often do you update the time on your watches? As it's my daily wearer, I'm noticing it's about two seconds fast a day. How long would you go before setting it back to baseline?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be a real stickler for accuracy with my watches and I would re-see them once they got 8 or 10 seconds out. Nowadays, it’s around thirty seconds before I begin to think about re-setting. NOTHING runs on time anymore, so I’ve become a little more forgiving in my older years. One thing, though- if the watch is Chronometer rated, then it had better run to chronometer standards. These days, I’m happy with any timekeeping up to 15 seconds fast or 5 or 6 seconds slow per day. One tip- it’s better if your watch gains a little time rather than loses.
      Now, sock away ten bucks a month so that you’ll be able to pay for servicing it in about five or six years. Congrats again, Javi!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for all the tips!

    Coincidentally, (or maybe not as it's my daily watch) I was wearing the Seamaster when I went for a walk on the trail this Wednesday and Pierce Brosnan crossed my path, whizzing by on his bicycle! (He's been in Austin working on a tv show, The Son) I let out a clumsy, "Hey, Mr. Brosnan!" and a wave. He waved back and nodded his head as he sped by. Makes me really glad I purchased my Omega when I did! It's now had its first life milestone! Seeing "James Bond" in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Score! That's a rare occurrence. AND you were wearing the right wristwatch.

      Delete