Thursday 26 March 2015

Job Hunting, Dentists & This Week's Wristwatches

- Friday 4:54pm ADST - 


Okay, all, I think this week's installment may be my last Friday wristwatch post for a while. I've spent a little less time on the web this week as I've stepped up my efforts to find some work. 

Since commencing my studies a couple of years ago, I've kept an eye out for work in libraries (since that's what I've been studying) and I've noticed that positions don't come up very often and competition is fierce.
And so, rather than being hell-bent on getting a library technician's position in a library, I've decided in recent weeks to cast my net out wider and just get anything. Unemployment levels in Australia are currently the highest they have been for some time, so this has made things tricky, to say the least.
So, the way things stand, here's a tally;

-Sent out three applications, sent a cold-letter enquiry to an employment agency, haven't heard back from them. 
-Went to a nearby cafe to ask about work, the owner hired somebody a month ago, but he said to stay in touch in case this new staff member doesn't work out. 
-Checked at a nearby library. They last hired back in June. 
-Went to six other local businesses. Four of them had nothing on offer, the other two are a slight possibility, but they won't know for certain for a few more weeks because their staff are going though a reshuffle of their rosters and everything's up in the air at the moment.
-Went to a nearby shopping centre, three places are looking for staff, and I'll have to e-mail their Head Offices for further details. 
So that's how it all stands. And, as Forrest Gump was wont to say; That's all I have to say about that.

I had the Rolex Submariner 5513 clamped to my wrist on Monday and Tuesday. Because I meant business. I had a pleasant surprise on the weekend as I went through some boxes of books that I had packed away. I forgot that I had this hardback of On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Granted, it's not a first edition. I think it's an Eighties reprint, but that's just fine by me.
 
Wednesday
                  I had a dental appointment in the morning. It's been five years since my last appointment. Yes, I know, I know. I had a check-up, scale and clean, two tubes of whitening gel, and a few x-rays done. When I got to the reception desk afterwards, the nurse said; "That's comes to $355.oo." 
She didn't say it with a smile either, just in case I mistook it for a joke. 
And I suddenly remembered why it's taken me five years to go back to the dentist. In all honesty, though, my dentist is very, very good at what he does, and he has a lovely manner. 
I made another appointment for the week after next. I think there'll be a filling and possibly an extraction.
I wore the Omega AquaTerra;


Today
          My wife and I had an appointment with the real estate agent this morning. Then we hit a couple of Op Shops. I snagged a Book Club of America hardcover first edition of The Human Factor by Graham Greene and Groundhog Day on DVD. Total cost? Six dollars and twenty-five cents. 
The kids finished school for the term today. They've got two weeks off, but we aim to give them a little bit of homework just so they don't get too comfortable, heh, heh. Don't tell 'em.
I switched over to the Sinn 103 St (steel) Sa (Sapphire) Chronograph;


And that's it, thrillseekers. As I said at the beginning, I have to devote time and energy to other matters for a while. And spending a little less time on the web is definitely not a bad thing. 
So, I'm going dark. I'm going off the reservation, off the grid, maintaining radio silence, running silent, running deep.
For a while. 
In the meantime, take care of yourselves, don't overdo it with the Easter eggs, and stay safe. I'll leave you with a quick Bond-style picture that I took earlier today. 


Relax, the lemon peel is real, the Martini is water. 

Oh, and the teaser trailer for SPECTRE is released tomorrow sometime. We've used up our 50Gb internet allowance, so our 'net is now running at dial-up speed till April 1st. I'll have to wait until then to watch it.
Oh well...

Thanks for reading, have a good weekend, and I'll resurface soon!

7 comments:

  1. I watched the teaser trailer last night on my phone at work. Too small a screen, so thanks for reminding me to go and find it! Just for reference, there's a bit of job hunting going on here too, so yeah... it's a grim and frustrating task.

    Good luck. have fun. I'll write to you sometime soon and I hope things work out well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the job hunt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Scott, best of luck with the hunt. There is work out there. It just requires a little more digging. The internet has added a few extra layers of gatekeepers, so now you have to trudge through a couple more doors before you actually get to speak to somebody who does the hiring. Damned annoying, that.

    @ writel, thank-you, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to you, T... but let us think of it not as going on a web hiatus, but rather as embarking on a deep cover assignment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Matt. My mission, should I choose to accept it...

      Delete
  5. I didn't realize you were going into library work. Take it from one who's switched to that career after ten years as an educator, it can be very tough to get your foot in the door, but once you get a foothold you should be okay. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know, pGOAT. I've found that it is indeed tough to get into the industry. People stay until they retire and many libraries aren't replacing staff who leave. Still, my wife, who works in a library, tells me her workplace is very busy, so there's still hope that I'll land something some day. In the meantime, I just have to find anything. Interesting times ahead.

      Delete